- Back to Home »
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT VIRTUAL PRIVATE CLOUD
Posted by : haxm rana Monday, 10 February 2014
A Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) is an isolated infrastructure of computing resources within a public cloud environment that provides isolation for various users of the cloud. A business can use the VPC technology to build a kind of an intranet for its employees. When a public cloud is divided into multiple Virtual Private Clouds, each VPC is assigned a unique private IP subnet and a virtual communication channel that enables a user to use his VPC in complete isolation from the public cloud.
Benefits of a Virtual Private Cloud
· Cost Effective: A Virtual Private Cloud ensures that the user can scale his technical infrastructure as and when required. This is very helpful, especially to startup companies who can save on the initial capital outlay.
· Improved Security: VPCs offer a higher level of cloud network securitythan a public cloud since the user has more tools at his disposal to ensure that the data is safe. A private cloud is often secured under an organization’s firewall and its security employees have full freedom in setting safety protocols.
Factors to Consider When Selecting A VPC Vendor
· Hype or Truth: Some vendors may confuse you by claiming to provide private clouds when infact you may be just a part of a public cloud. Make sure that you thoroughly check to ensure that you are getting exactly what you asked for
· Security Controls: Compare the security options provided by VPC service providers. Higher the security controls, the better it is.
· Reliability: Check the performance of the service provider and make sure that all your data can be accessed by you whenever and wherever you want
· Terms and Conditions: Scrupulously go through the Terms and Conditions of the service to ensure that you and you alone will have total control of your data
· Cost: Finally, compare the costs against other factors mentioned above and chose the best cost effective option without compromising on security and reliability
Virtual Private Cloud Providers
· Amazon: It is one of the leading providers of cloud computing services. Amazon allows free usage of its VPC services. Users are however charged for any Virtual Private Network (VPN) they use
· Rackspace: They offer a range of cloud computing services including a Virtual Private Cloud. Rackspace powers its cloud environment with OpenStack- the world’s fastest growing open source cloud management software
· Other vendors include IBM, Microsoft, Dell, Cisco etc.
How to communicate with your own network in a VPC
By default, you can not communicate with a virtual private cloud, you can not communicate with your own network. This access to your own network from you virtual private cloud ca be enables by using a VPC gateway, updating security group rules and by creating a custom route table.
Business organizations around the globe are steadily integrating private clouds into their infrastructure while most of the startups opt for cloud technologies since it gives them the power of scalability. The savings in capital expenditure is also a strong reason for the growth of the cloud. However, there remains a major hurdle - security. In fact, security is cited as the biggest reasons why some businesses still opt not to join the cloud. As such, if cloud service providers find a way to mitigate security concerns and guarantee complete safety of data, then the growth of the cloud industry will be explosive.